Monday, September 15, 2008

Themes or Strengths...


Earlier this year I was given the book "Now Discover Your Strengths" by Marcus Buckingham. I read it and took the test, but didn't think too much about it. My friend Tony loves learning and exploring these things, and was the one who gave me the book. He is so encouraging to have people explore who God made them to be, and how we can use that to reach the world.

This past summer in Hungary I met with Michael Dauphinee, who is a consultant who travels all over the world to work with people and help coach them to be the people they were created for. One thing that Michael says is "Don't be well-rounded. If you're round, be round; if you're square, be square." It is so true! It has always bothered me that people and especially colleges always say to be well rounded! I have always believed that I was created to do certain things, so why should I change who I am to do other things? I have felt somewhat guilty thinking that way since it feels like the world is telling me do everything.

Meeting Michael and talking to him was crazy! I had literally just met him, all he knew about me was my name and that I was leading high school kids to come and serve at the CA conference. I gave him the 5 words that the Strenthfinders test spit out at me, and it was like he was inside my heart and my brain! Seriously...I didn't really know what to do! So this is what I am...

Arranger - People strong in the arranger theme can organize, but they also have a flexibility that compliments this ability. They like to figure out how all the pieces and resources can be arranged for maximum productivity.

Relator - People strong in the relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal.

Maximizer - People strong with the maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.

Adaptability - People strong in adaptability prefer to "go with the flow." They tend to be "now" people who take things as they come and discover the future one day at a time.

Positivity - People strong in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.

Talking with Michael I also learned that Arrangers are always looking at what the next step is, always thinking ahead. Relators have 5 core friendships that mean the world to them. Maximizers aren't satisfied with good, they need things to be great. Positivity people get drained from negativity.

I really appreciate Strength Finders because it has opened my eyes to the way I view people. As I get to know them I can appreciate who they are and how God created them. I tend to try to identify what their themes might be if they haven't taken the test, or if they have it helps me understand them a little bit better.

There's a whole lot more that I learned, and I'm continuing to learn. I encourage you to check this out if you haven't...and help learn more about how God created you!

No comments:

Post a Comment