Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Retreat (Terry this is for you)

One of my favorite parts of my job is going away on the retreats. Now, the week before the retreat is chaotic and stressful...but Friday afternoon when the buses all pull away my stress is gone and excitement takes it place. We have always called the Spring Retreat our outreach retreat, encouraging the kids to invite their friends that don't normally come to church. In the recent years we haven't had many friends, if any, come.
This year Scott, my boss, and I were brainstorming how to make it an outreach again. We came up with the unchurched friends go free!!! That's right! If a kid comes on the retreat who doesn't come to our church the church would pay for their weekend!!We had 30 unchurched friends come on the weekend!!! It was amazing!
The theme was of the weekend was all about Freedom. We talked about how we need to be forgiving and honest, and be able to admit when we're wrong. God moved mountains over the weekend. Twenty of the 30 unchurched friends that came accepted Christ into their life!!! Unbelievable!!!
By the end of the weekend I was absolutley exhausted...but I would do it again in a heartbeat! I can't wait for the next retreat!!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes! THIS is why I loved retreats - it's just the kids and God. And 2/3 of the unchurched kids trusted Christ - that's PHENOMENAL!! Enjoy the afterglow!

    And thanks for the shout out in the title, made me feel really special. :)

    ReplyDelete