Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Birthday Surprise!



My brother and I planned to surprise my dad for his 60th birthday. I called his work and got his birthday off for him, so Kyle and I headed north! It was a very nice time hanging out with family. My grandma and her husband Mike were also around visiting, which was an added bonus! I could tell that my dad really appreciated us coming up for the weekend to celebrate and spend some time together.


On Sunday my brother left early to get back to work and my dad had to go to work. I spent the day with my aunt, Grandma and Mike. We headed to noon mass together. I grew up in the Catholic church, but it had been a very long time since I had been back. I was really interested to listen to everything that was being said, since when I was younger I didn't care so I never paid attention. Its amazing how when you have certain things ingrained in your head that you remember them no matter how long its been. I remembered all the prayers from years ago. It struck me while we were in the mass that it is all about the rituals. I said the prayers that I was supposed to say, but for me it was mumbles and I didn't even think about what I was saying. Listening to the priest, he wasn't passionate about what he was saying, it was just the scripture to share for that week. Everything was so ritualistic. It made me question what in my life am I making ritualistic? What do I do because I need to check it off my to-do list, instead of doing it because my heart is in it?

When church was over we went out to brunch. Great food and great company, then off to the airport I went to head back home. It was great to be with family, especially my grandma. She is such an amazing woman!! It was a great weekend!! Happy Birthday Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment